Clinker

by digby

Mark Halperin just declared that on the basis of the excerpts of the upcoming speech, Obama sounds like Michael Dukakis and that nobody is going to be persuaded. Halperin says he's simply got to do tax cuts or tort reform. Matthews characterized Halperin's opinion as saying that the speech was "a clinker."

I would just note that the gasbags almost always think these speeches are clinkers, but the public usually thinks otherwise. But I have to say that I haven't seen the villagers so dismissive in advance since Clinton faced the congress in the immediate aftermath of the Lewinsky revelations.

I think I'll reserve judgment until the speech is actually given. It's odd, I know, but I'm old fashioned about these things.


Update: Spocko writes in to tell me that the drinking game tonight is one shot if he says "reach across the aisle" and two shots for "some on the left."

I'm guzzling on "big government" and injecting 151 on "make the tax cuts permanent."

Update II: It actually didn't occur to me to put "capital gains tax cut" on the list. Should I drown myself in rubbing alcohol?

Update III: Gotta love the GOP failing to stand up for taxing the bankers. I hope the media at least mentions it tomorrow.


.